The Chinese telecoms equipment provider's fate in the UK is set to be revealed on Tuesday.
If you happened to read The New York Times this week, you may be under the false impression that the World Health Organization significantly changed its stance on whether the pandemic coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, spreads by lingering in the air.
Around midday Thursday, the paper declared: “W.H.O., in Reversal, Affirms Virus May Be Airborne Indoors.” The paper also called it an “admission” and, in a subsequent article, said the WHO had “conceded.” The articles both noted that a group of more than 200 researchers had also published a commentary piece this week urging the WHO and other public health bodies to acknowledge and address the potential for airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2.
The problem: the WHO did not change its stance on airborne transmission. And, as such, it did not issue any new recommendations or guidance on how people can stay safe.
Earlier, the company had asked staff to remove the TikTok app from phones over "security risks."
The quark model was an intellectual revolution for physics. Physicists were faced with an ever-growing zoo of unstable particles that didn't seem to have a role in the Universe around us. Quarks explained all that through a (at least superficially) simple set of rules that built all of these particles through combinations of two or three quarks.
While that general outline seems simple, the rules by which particles called "gluons" hold the quarks together are fiendishly complex, and we don't always know their limits. Are there reasons that particles seem to stop at collections of three quarks?
With the advent of ever-more powerful particle colliders, we've found some indications that the answer is "no." Reports of four-quark and even five-quark particles have appeared in different experiments. But questions remain about the nature of the interactions in these particles. Now, CERN has announced a new addition to a growing family of tetraquarks, a collection of two charm quarks and two anti-charm quarks.
Macs with Apple silicon will still support Thunderbolt, according to Apple. The clarification came after Intel's Thunderbolt 4 announcement led many to speculate that Macs without Intel CPUs would not have Thunderbolt ports.
Here's Apple's statement, which was provided to The Verge:
Over a decade ago, Apple partnered with Intel to design and develop Thunderbolt, and today our customers enjoy the speed and flexibility it brings to every Mac. We remain committed to the future of Thunderbolt and will support it in Macs with Apple silicon.
Earlier this week, Intel announced the minimum requirements for Thunderbolt 4 certification, as well as the features consumers can expect in Thunderbolt 4-ready devices and a timeline and details about the rollout of the first devices using the standard. It will first arrive later this year in laptops equipped with Intel's Tiger Lake CPUs, and Intel is producing controller chips for computers and peripherals.
Smile Bank customers have been unable to access their accounts for days due to an ongoing outage.
Update at 5:15pm ET: Amazon now says it sent the email announcing a TikTok ban by mistake, according to The Verge. "This morning's email to some of our employees was sent in error," an Amazon spokesperson said, according to the Verge article. "There is no change to our policies right now with regard to TikTok." We're still waiting to hear back from Amazon.
Original story follows:
Amazon ordered employees to delete TikTok from their phones today, citing "security risks."
Four immortal warriors who have secretly protected humanity for centuries become targeted by a corporate CEO keen on extracting and marketing the key to their mysterious powers—just as a new immortal emerges to join their ranks—in The Old Guard. It's the latest action thriller from Netflix, starring Charlize Theron, and very much in the same vein as the Chris Hemsworth vehicle Extraction, which the streaming platform released earlier this year. But in this case, The Old Guard is a solid, entertaining action thriller whose individual parts, while strong, don't quite add up to a compelling whole.
(Some spoilers below, but no major twists revealed.)
Directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball), the film is an adaptation of the comic of the same name by Eisner-award-winning author Greg Rucka (Lazarus, Wonder Woman), with art by Leandro Fernández (Deadpool, Punisher: MAX). The main protagonist is Andromache of Scythia (Theron), aka Andy, who has been trapped in an immortal life for centuries for reasons that are never explained. The term "immortal" isn't entirely accurate, since these people do eventually die; one day, in some unforeseen future, their bodies will simply stop regenerating as mysteriously as they started. But by typical human lifespan standards, they're pretty much immortal.
After years of fumbling with game launches, mostly in the mobile and free-to-play sector, Amazon Game Studios seemed poised to make a splash in 2020 with two major new games with heavy online components. Today, that count drops back to zero.
New World, a fantasy MMO that revolves around colonizing a new continent, has seen its public launch pushed back from August 25 to "Spring 2021." The news came in a Friday update at the game's blog from studio director Richard Lawrence, who cited the current game's lack of "middle and endgame experiences" as a reason for the multi-month delay.Helping players “understand”
This delay means the studio's original plans for a "closed beta" test, set to launch by "July 2020," have been canceled; that test would have been available exclusively to paying pre-order customers. In a way, this is still happening: paying customers will still be allowed into the game's "closed alpha" test on the original retail launch date of August 25, but only for a brief testing period. Lawrence didn't clarify how long this testing period will last, but he did tell fans that such a test will help players "understand why we want to take the extra time to make this experience the best it can be at release."